What can I say? It's my life, it's my times. Welcome.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Jay Bilas

If you like college basketball, you know he's the best. By far. It was a realization I sort of hesitated to welcome -- given his background -- but this year for some reason in particular (maybe it was because I knew he was from dook yet still gave North Carolina all the props they deserved) he won me over. And more. To the point where I hope he does EVERY game.

Anyways, he came to Mick's class on Monday and blew me away even more. He's just great, and he talked so openly about everything -- K, people he "hates," philosophy, the Heels. And he gave us his "little black book," even though I didn't get all the time I wanted to peruse it for his detailed notes on every player he's watched. It was awesome. I don't feel like writing much more, so I'll quote some from the paper I already wrote on him, but suffice it to say I like the guy:

Impressive.

That’s the only way to say it.

Jay Bilas is incredibly, unexpectedly, and amazingly impressive. Moreover, his impressiveness is even more impressive in that it defies containment to any one area, instead overflowing in its abundance to make itself readily identifiable in every facet of his being. He is simply, undeniably, and inspirationally impressive. As a professional. As an imparter of knowledge. As a father and husband. As a person.

I can’t believe I’m gushing over a dadgum dookie. Coming from a Tar Heel born and bred – one with an instinctive, automatic and (previously) insurmountable hatred for all things dook (I cannot even bring myself to spell it correctly) – that’s probably the biggest compliment I’ve ever bestowed. On anyone. No lie.

And I save it for a dadgum dookie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home