What can I say? It's my life, it's my times. Welcome.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

ACC Champs

Yes, the men, by a full game.

But this is about the ladies (I'm all about the ladies, wink).

Yes, once again overcoming the powerful tide of my pessimism, our lady Tar Heel's proved me wrong in claiming their first ACC Tournament title since 1998. After their first two games, things looked bleak. But two impresseive late-game comebacks, including from 17 down against UVA, pushed the Heels into the championship game.

Honestly, after our win at Cameron, I didn't think we'd be able to get back to such a high level of play within a week and expected a letdown in the semifinals. We did letdown, but still found a way to advance. And a veritable buzzsaw waited -- dook, who had DESTROYED their competition en route to winning by an AVERAGE of 44 points. No way, I thought. Not for the THIRD time. Not after we just snatched the ACC crown from them on their home court.

I was entirely wrong. We were simply better. Withstanding good early play by them, the "L" Raisers, as I like to call them, soon turned up the heat, and dook couldn't stay with them. While the "L" raisers have usually been limited to Latta and Larkins (who wasn't even initally a member) for most of the season, Little rejoined the parade in the championship game route. And Nikita BeLL even got in the act, continuing her heLLish defensive play and (shocking?) Leadership. Okay, enough of the Lame "L" stuff (even though I do like "L" raisers).

We won easily. 3-0 vs. dook. Best team in the ACC. Champs. Case closed.

Bring on the NCAAs. We'll be in the Smith Center to start out, and we better be a #1 seed -- fuck the ESPN analysts who were hyping dook and NOT us as a #1 AS WE WERE BEATING THEM. We'll see, but after this weekend (and even without it, IMO), we deserve it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home