What can I say? It's my life, it's my times. Welcome.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

some rap thoughts

old-school rap, while some of it can be good (very good even) can also be downright awful

the good news is rap has definitely progressed. That's not to say everything out there now is better than what used to be, but some advancements/developments have definitely evolved.

Jay-Z feels and expresses the mood and feeling of his beats better than anyone else. He likes to talk about himself a lot, too, but at least he sounds good doing it. And he might be the best at talking over a track before it really gets started -- whatever that's called.

LL Cool J and Busta Rhymes mystify me in many ways...some good, more not.

someone should tell Kanye that there is a better way to express the sentiment of discrimination than his Sam's Club reference. Everyone has to show ID to get into Sam's Club.

50 Cent needs to learn that the word is "aspiring" not "inspiring"

I like it when rap is unique, different, and fresh. Too much regurgitation, "plug it into the formula" these days. Always appreciate the pioneers and the reinventors.

if Eminem would allow himself to be even the slightest bit soulful and rap about things of simply minimal importance, he would be the best rapper ever, HANDS DOWN (and he might could be anyway).

4 Comments:

Blogger dantheheel said...

wow, I'd really like someone to follow that doozie (doozy?)of a comment up.... we def need some more groveling to master DTM around here.

in fact, despite the fact that the glowing remarks come from a despised texan, and far worse (which if you know me, is exactly impossible), a dookie, I can pretty safely say that Stephanie has set the bar for the best comment yet experienced on "the life and times." So she must be thanked profusely for that....even if she has "politely ignored" me since, hmmmm...about March-ish? Can't seem to think of any reason why...

and thank you for your kind, complimentary words as well -- although I fear that people telling me I'm good at writing will eventually convince me that I might should do it after all.

But mostly (they come at night, mostly -- for Rell) I'm all about balance. So let's get the critics out in full force to bring me back down; I'm definitely feeling too good about myself and my world-enriching blog exploits right now.

commence the attack

11:20 PM

 
Blogger dantheheel said...

I'm amazed at how much I agree with your take.

Pretty much everything is spot on, and that, my sir, is a job well done.

You may proceed in life confidently knowing that you have great taste and wisdom abounding.

11:58 PM

 
Blogger Jimmy said...

Rap is evolving I would say in some respects. I definitely agree with Jeff's comments on Outkast and Tupac. Biggy was one of my all-time favorites.

I can honestly say that throughout middle school and much of high school rap and R&B was the music I listened to. Now never being that much of a music connosieur (preferring the sports route instead and not downloading music until this past year with the free Napster), it's kind of hard for me to tell you names of rappers and song names that I liked. I just kind of know it when I hear it.

However, as much as I grew up on rap and all I now see it is having a serious negative effect on America's youth. Again, I hate to sound preachy and all, but with this new job and a high exposure to rap music (i.e. listening to rap and R&B on K97.5 most of the day at camp) there are some fundamental problems with some rappers. My main focus is vocabulary.

When all kids hear is "he done did that", "where you gone last night", they don't know who we be", etc..., it has a serious effect on how they speak and moreso write. Now this is not to say that the kids are being taught how to speak from their parents who are saying things the grammatically incorrect way, but I think rap music plays a big role in it. I would even be willing to write it of, but the kids know the lyrics to almost every song that comes on the radio, so it must be having some effect.

Anyways I guess I'm saying is rap can be good as long as it's meaningful and uses proper grammar.

8:49 PM

 
Blogger Rell said...

this is gonna turn into a blog of my own so i just won't even post.

twshit...

11:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home