What can I say? It's my life, it's my times. Welcome.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I work with (Davis Reference -- Federal Documents edition) ...

A pack of middle-aged women. Yes, that's it. No men.

OK, I lied. There's a dude or two. But let's just say that the male librarian type isn't exactly one that I connect with. And there is another student assistant -- but she's like 24 and not very sociable. Like most librarians.

Except among each other. (wo)Man, I tell you, the juicy gossip that flies back and forth between cubicles is quite interesting to say the least. How they come up with it (it's not like they live in soapoprahville (yes, Phipps, that's at you) is a mystery to me. Women.

Thankfully I am able to use "my" iPod to drown out the mindless banter so common among the females as I do my tasks (labeling books, mainly), but there are times when it is simply unavoidable (like when my boss goes off on one of her tangents for 15 minutes -- which I actually appreciate because it means she isn't giving me anything else to do and all I have to do is nod politely; she's about the nicest little lady I've ever met -- which seems to be a common thing among librarians...I see you Rosa). To be fair, I have been forewarned, and told to "just ignore it," -- "there's just no point in toning it down, so don't take offense" -- and I do have three sisters, so it's not a whole new world ("a dazzling place I never knew"). Gotta say, I feel a little bit too much like the "gay" guy who all women feel comfortable spilling their hearts too. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It's just that never in my life did I picture such a scene as a reality for myself. I work among women -- exclusively among women, middle-aged women. And they've started prowling for details the way only women do, but I've remained strong and aim to increase my resolve as they circle closer. Because you know that as soon as you give them something, ANYthing, you're done. They will be on you like sharks on chum, except more ruthless. And therefore I mute it; it's the only chance I've got.

So goes the Summer of Dan.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rell said...

Keep your head up man -- I've found (I worked with middle-aged women this year, nearly all year) that there is always that hot single one who you never would have suspected.

I mean when I say hot I don't mean Alicia Keys, Eva Langora hot -- I mean serviceable hotness. To relate to basketball recruiting, these women are like top 40 Ginyard type recruits who will be with you for four years, not the Oden/Durant types who are going to live if they even come at all.

Ok, getting back on task just look out cause there always is a hot 34/S/F who loves her some 20-year-old young man.

Be on the look out...

3:16 PM

 
Blogger dantheheel said...

I anxiously await the day.

And I mean ANXIOUSLY.

11:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home