What can I say? It's my life, it's my times. Welcome.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

one thing I do like, always have

is "discovering" the "history" of an English word, coupled with a foreign-language provoked interpretation of what the word means -- all by way of the word's Spanish cognate.

That is, sometimes my mind just "clicks" and makes the long-lost association between a Spanish word I have learned in the last 7 years and an English word I've known my whole life. The "clicking' is obviously prompted by the original Latin roots (which were cleverly disguised by the creators of language precisely so that I could decode a new one every few weeks). Anyways, it's really cool to see how one root can disperse into different meanings in different languages over time, with each original word spawning more words in its "family" in each language -- and how all those words from both languages share an unmistakable, elucidating tie. Words that seemed random and lacking design are suddenly given undeniable sense and order, a phenomenon of the highest order in my book.

Makes me wish I'd taken Latin -- although all these "revelations" would probably be a lot less mindblowing had that been the case.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

not your best entry dan... coulda used a couple solid witty examples. but yes, learning the history of words is fun, almost as much as seeing a rare woodpecker in its natural habitat.

4:15 PM

 
Blogger dantheheel said...

desperate

esperar

6:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home