What can I say? It's my life, it's my times. Welcome.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

how pathetic is it

that I just snuck to the basement of work in order to finish "watching" what "appeared" to be an amazing Armstrong ride in the 10th stage by -- get this -- reading refreshed html code every 30 seconds?

Yes, that's right....all browsers were failing to load, so I was reduced to viewing the page source code from olntv.com (my life source during my morning job) as Armstrong made his almost-victrorious (and still very impressive) charge.

So, in all sincerity, I ask once again -- before I get back to reading code in order to figure out just how much time he gained on his rivals -- how pathetic are these tour-de-france-mandated exploits of mine?

3 Comments:

Blogger Rell said...

kind of sad, but not really. I did the same thing during the Masters a couple of years ago.

Check the blog -- i put a little information on it from the morning session.

4:45 PM

 
Blogger Jimmy said...

Just got to see the last 25K or so of the stage on the actual TV broadcast on OLN and it quite simply was amazing. These guys are unbelievable athletes and Armstrong is simply a beast. This is my first chance at really watching stages of the Tour because we finally have OLN and it's fascinating to watch all of the maneuvers that go on.

Armstrong threw the hammer down today and the only one who could keep up was Rasmussen who is beginning to scare me a little bit although I am pretty sure he will fade. Basso, Kloden, Vinokourov, Ullrich, and Landis all failed to keep pace.

Tomorrow should also be a great one to watch/follow on the web. The announcers say its the toughest day in the Alps.

I guess in the end, I would be doing the same thing as you Dan if I had access to Internet at my job. For now though I am content to wait and watch the replay on OLN. I wouldn't even let myself watch Sportscenter to see who had won the stage because I wanted to watch it.

8:16 PM

 
Blogger dantheheel said...

yeah, cycling is a bombass sport -- but it's got a lot of nuances to it that are hard for the "normal" sports fan to recognize. I remember watching OLN at like 1 in the morning back home and falling in love with the sport (well, at least the Tour de France).

Until you watch the stages in their entirety and successively, you don't quite grip the power of the peloton, the key issue of expertly timing an attack, a beautiful counterattack, the criticality (criticalness, what's the word?) of a team leader's teammates, a devastating mountain climb, a gutsy ride, whatever it may be...

it's really exciting...but you have to devote yourself to watching OLN pretty religiously in order to ever figure it all out (and truly appreciat it, IMO)

(BTW, I think these guys are the best athletes in the world, hands down)

8:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home