What can I say? It's my life, it's my times. Welcome.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

I'm losing my faith

in science. (and that's a big one for me, people)

Why?

Well the fact that I work in a lab where organization seems non-existent and data something akin to unsacred has a whole lot to do with it. In fact, the only reason I have the splendiferous job of entering data is because someone else screwed it up before me and my job is to fix it/do it over. Problem is, some of the problems are unfixable. Whole YEARS of data are missing. Half of the stuff is labeled wrongly and then just changed by someone who, in a moment of divinity-inspired epiphany, magically "figures out" what number rat this actually was (although in my opinion it's more a case of, "shit, we spent four years doing this study and we have all this data with no idea where it came from, so we'll just make up which freaking rat it's from since we lost all the other information and that way we can just shape our study to get the results we want"). I wish I was somewhat kidding.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have a job. And I'm happy someone screwed up to make it possible. But I always viewed science and scientists as things of utmost precision and care, not of sloppiness and (dubious?) alterations. Now, I have some doubts, at least with regards to the findings of how cocaine affects maternal behavior. Or anything coming from our fucked up lab.

How can you get a huge grant like that and then blow it by straight up LOSING data and FUCKING UP the good data you actually get?!?!?! Come on people! Imbeciles and morons abound.


That's me in the corner (typing unverifiable data into the computer). That's me in the spotlight, losing my religion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home