What can I say? It's my life, it's my times. Welcome.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

better late than never

well, actually not if you really think about it, considering very few of you even care and those that do have already received the spiel or were there yourselves....but, it just doesn't seem right to compose the EPIC N'awlins/Hotlanta post until the long-past-due post-TOC entry has seen the light of the electronic underworld.

therefore, I give you my thoughts, mainly so that when one player I liked does well in the future (college or NBA) I can claim quasi-guru status. Of course, ignore any projections I make that are way off -- I deal with life on ego-inflating terms only. Be forewarned, though, it ended up being about half a book because I can't shut up.

ergo (I need to go back to the days where I started using this word more, which correlates directly with learning it in the second Matrix and the Architect's speech, which I never did watch/listen to a second time to actually figure out what it meant), I begin:

UNC commits:

Danny Green '05 -- not much new here. Very heady, savvy player regardless of his athleticism, which is decent. Unbelievable shotblocker all things considered. Didn't see the best stroke from him, but it's reputed to be a strong point. Could struggle on defense, but is such a well-rounded player that coaches (i.e. Roy) will love to have him on the court. Consummate leader? Maybe. He's got that potential.

Wayne Ellington '06 -- I don't know quite what to think here. Pleased, I guess. He showed everything to make me think he's really good, and he is. He didn't handle the ball as much or shoot as well in the games I saw as I'd have liked (or better put, as I might have expected, seeing as I like the fact he didn't absolutely blow up). He's got a weird crouch and plays hunched over at times, but you can tell he's got handle, sets himself up for shots really well, can get his own shot, and is quick as Willie, well, Quick. Had some unbelievable steals and incredible finishes that displayed tantalizing athleticism. And the best part is, I know he didn't play his best.

Other '06 guys:

Paul Harris -- I absolutely fell in love with this guy's game. One of the smarter players I saw, and probably had the best court sense, too. The fact that he's built, fearless, has a killer crossover, and carried his team only furthered my enamor. Favorite player in the class? I tend to like UNC guys (i.e. Lawson) but maybe so....he was that awesome (he freaking FAKED losing the ball in ORDER to make a tap bounce pass for an assist for chrissakes -- it was gorgeous).

Gerald Henderson -- He's going to dook so I don't want to talk about him, but he's good. Very athletic, powerful, will flourish in Durham.

Derrick Carracter -- A little underwhelmed with this guy. While big, he seemed to lack "set-apart" athleticism and tended to drift to the perimeter too much for my liking. I will say this, though, the kid is an excellent passer and if he ever develops a hunger around the glass he will be very good.

Earl Clark -- another guy on the Playaz, he impressed me from the get go. 6'9" with legit handles. That's all I needed (those don't come together very often). Decent shot, quick and long , a few nice blocks. I consider myself a guru for liking him (I had no idea who he was) and then he turns out to be ranked. Points for me.

Chase Budinger -- wasn't hard to see this guy was underrated. I liked him just from reading about his spring, but his looks just make you an immediate fan. And the fact he went off for 20+ in the first half of the first game. Great athleticism, great hustle, very versatile.

Greg Oden -- honestly wasn't that impressed, but it's still easy to see why he's regarded so highly.

Mike Conley, Jr. -- Solid, not spectacular. Surround him with talent, and he's EXACTLY what you want. Ask him to be the team instead of run it and your in trouble.

Daequan Cook -- didn't see a whole lot out of him. Smooth, for sure. Explosive, at times. Solid all-around. Wish I'd seen him rebound like he's been reported to. Clearly a good prospect, but I wouldn't have been that impressed if I hadn't known who he was.

Alex Stepheson -- I must have always turned just in time to catch a bad part of his game, because apparently he put up a double-double and impressed everyone else. All I saw was laziness, rawness, and apathy. And a huge body with a lot of potential (real potential, not Damien potential). And seeing as we are UNC, that was enough for me.

Jerry Davon-Jefferson -- liked this kid a lot. Bouncy, skilled, and a fierce competitor. He led his team, rebounded, played good defense and wanted it more than anyone else on the court. Throw in some nasty dunks and follows and a few buttery turnarounds, and you have a kid I'd be tempted to put in the Top 10.

wow, this is way too long....gonna go rapid fire from now on

'07 dudes:

Eric Wallace -- all athleticism and not much else. Tons of potential and little realization. BUT if he could ever put it together...

Bill Walker -- see above, except scarier. Best dunker I've ever seen? Close, and probably the most powerful. He's a MAN. Got a bit of a 'tude, but he plays hard. Give him a jumpshot and/or an inch and watch out.

O.J. Mayo -- honestly wasn't that impressed. THAT impressed. And he still lit it up, which should say a lot. He needs to pass more and shoot outside less, but it's obvious why he doesn't at this stage...

Taylor King -- a Neanderthal with nothing but a sweet touch from outside. I honestly liked his game -- but only as a third or fourth option for a team. Which he would be great at if he could find a way to not get abused defensively because his shot is as pure as they come and he can get an occasional bucket in the paint.

Alex Legion -- very smooth scorer who finds a different way to get points seemingly every trip down the court. Liked him a lot. He'll get a lot of attention next year...wonder if anyone can pry him out of Michigan.

I also liked Michael Sanchez in the 16 and unders....and a whole host of other dudes, but I'm too spent and ashamed of my insatiable lust for basketball (and AAU at that) to continue further (though in this case, 'farther' might actually be more appropriate and indeed grammatically correct). If you are still reading this, perhaps you are sadder than me. (And perhaps you might be interested in a road trip to North Augusta for Peach Jam -- everyone's gonna be there?. And by everyone, I mean Nike players.)

You made it to the end. Congratulations. And if you just skipped to the end, congratulations on making a wise decision as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rell said...

I'mma be at peach jam as well

12:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home